Before and After IV Sedation or General Anesthesia
IV Sedation or General Anesthesia is a serious procedure and certain steps must be followed before and after your scheduled procedure to ensure your safety and comfort.
Please read and follow the instructions carefully.
- Do not have anything to eat or drink (including water) after midnight or 8 hours prior to the appointment.
- If you are diabetic, the doctor will give you additional instructions regarding diet and how to take your medications/insulin.
- Do not smoke for at least 12 hours before surgery. Ideally, cut down or stop smoking as soon as possible prior to the day of surgery.
- A licensed driver MUST accompany the patient to the office, and the driver must remain in the office the entire time during the procedure, and be available to drive the patient home.
- Do not drive a vehicle or operate any machinery for 24 hours following the anesthesia experience.
- Please wear comfortable clothing with loose-fitting sleeves, which can be rolled up past the elbow and flat shoes or sneakers.
- Contact lenses, jewelry, and dentures must be removed at the time of surgery.
- Do not wear lipstick, excessive makeup, or nail polish on the day of surgery.
- If you have an illness such as a cold, sore throat, respiratory infection, upset stomach or upset bowel, please notify the office.
- Generally, all routine oral medications can be taken prior to surgery at their regularly scheduled time with a small sip of water. Please check with the doctor prior to the surgical date for specific instructions regarding routine medications.